Thursday, May 19, 2011

Salad Queen has a lot on her plate

Salad Queen.  Yeah, never thought that would be me.  But I'm getting there.  And I'm actually almost starting to enjoy it! Biggest Loser tells all of us at home trying to lose weight to eat at least one salad a day.  I don't always do that but I'm getting there.  I've been on a salad kick this week because it's easy to take to work, leave at work, make slightly different everyday, and well, the fridge is getting to a point where it's getting scarce in there and salads are a great way to dress up the produce that's left before your next shopping trip.

Now, we buy spinach by the bulk, or we would if we could! We usually go through 4-6 bags of it per week between the two of us.  Work pays for a Costco membership - I have had it for 4 years and never activated it, but I think I might because the amount of fresh produce we go through is insane.   I put it in everything.  It's one of the vegetables I actually liked prior to jumping on this bandwagon.  I think lettuce tastes bitter and is honestly one of the vegetables I cannot stand... I detested green pepper and now I'll eat those, but still not the lettuce.  So my salads are all spinach-based. 


Yesterday's lunch was a simple salad with spinach, navel orange and blackberries with just a bottled fat-free raspberry vinegarette.  I had some peas, too, but I ate half of them on the way to my desk!



 Today it was spinach, green apple, jicama and blackberries with a homemade raspberry-lime vinegarette dressing.  (You can see my afternoon snack sitting on my wallet.  I'm short on protein, ok on carbs and have plenty of fat calories left, so a bag of habanero bbq almonds it is!)

You can put just about anything on a salad.  I have to find a dressing I like or research some recipes for some homemade ones that aren't fruity... I bought a balsamic vinegarette one and I just think it tastes like feet!

And yes, I'm drinking a Monster. My attempts to cut back to < 1 per day are being foiled this week. I have lots of stuff on my plate - figurately and literally - and I'm barely finding times to eat and sleep - and once this week I have foregone my lunch in order to rest for an hour.  Unhealthy!

I'm going to try to "reset" myself this weekend and then have a bit of relaxation and find time to meditate and destress next week.  Even if it means one or two things on my plate don't get dealt with when they should.  In losing weight, stress plays a large part, and of all the hurdles I have to overcome, none are going to matter if I can't get over this one first and find a way to balance myself and my life!




1 comment:

  1. I love salads with grilled chicken on them, especially in the summer. Try throwing some strawberries and blueberries on your salad too.

    As for dressings, I'm partial to honey mustard, raspberry vinaigrette, um, French or Catalina.

    ReplyDelete